Wednesday, March 10, 2010

An Update

I know it has been a while since I posted anything, so I thought I would give an update on how things are at the Self House.

Tim has his ups and downs. I guess that is what we have to look forward to for the next several months. I can only hope that we have more ups than downs. After the third treatment, the fatigue has started to set in. He has been a lot more tired this week than in previous ones. The Ambien, however, has helped him get a better night's rest. I am happy about that. For a while, every time I would wake up and turn over, he would just be lying there awake. I hated knowing that he wasn’t getting much rest (yet somehow I never had trouble rolling over and going back to sleep – sorry babe).

The stomach pain has not subsided, though he is doing a good job of maintaining his diet. He said that right after treatment, he doesn’t feel much like eating but when he does it doesn’t make him feel any worse. He has described the pain as feeling like you have a stomach bug minus the vomiting. Doesn’t sound like my idea of good time. He amazes me every day. If you weren’t privy to what is going on, you would never guess what he is going through. He is so strong and so positive. I sometimes forget that doesn’t feel well since most of the time he doesn’t let on how bad it is.

I think the next few weeks might be the hardest for him. At least that is my opinion. He is far enough in that he can’t see the start line, yet not far enough to see the finish line either. We are simply taking one day at a time and each day brings us one step closer to having this behind us.

His hair is still hanging in there. I am really surprised. We were told it would be gone by now, and although it is coming out, you wouldn’t be able to notice if you just saw him out on the town. This morning he was commenting on how thin it is getting, so I am guessing the days might be numbered. In the shower, he lathers up his hair with shampoo and slicks it back to try and get a glimpse of what he might look like. I can already tell you it is going to be quite a site to see! He has a wicked widow’s peak and his scalp has never seen the light of day. I told him I would be more than happy to work some self-tanning magic if he is so inclined.

Today we finalized a family vacation that both of us are looking forward to. We have rented a condo in Panama City the first week in May. Tim grew up there and we have a lot of friends and family there as well. Tim’s mom and brother will be joining us. Leyton has never been to the beach and I can’t wait to see what he thinks of the sand! It will be nice to get away and relax on the beach. I know Tim is look forward to "wettin' a hook" every chance he gets.

Many of you know that I have little bit of a commute to work. As I sit in morning traffic sipping coffee and eating my granola bar, my mind will start to wonder and I think of all the things that I love and admire about my husband. A friend of Tim’s made the comment on the blog that it looks like Tim “married up.” I feel that way as well. God could not have blessed me with a better partner in life and each day we fall more in love with other.


Dear Tim,

Below is a list of just a few of things that came to mind as I drove to work.



1. I love that when we go out to eat, you always give me the first bite of what you ordered knowing I will want to taste it, too.

2. I love that when we lay in bed at night watching TV, you reach over and hold my hand.

3. I love to watch you play with Leyton and see the way both of your faces light up.

4. I love that when you go to the grocery store on your way home from work, you always pick me up something fun like a People magazine or my favorite chips.

5. I love that you know all the words to old school rap songs and have hand motions to act out some of the lyrics while you sing along.

6. I love that you try to do my laundry but always end up hanging up nice shirts on wire hangers.

7. I love that even when you don’t feel good, you will still hold me and listen as I complain about my day.

8. I love that you are the most “hands on” Dad I know and enjoy every minute of it.

9. I love that out of no where, you will look over and tell me you love me.

10. I love that you have close relationships with all your family and old friends.


I could go on and on, but I will save those for another day.

Much Love,

Annie

5 comments:

  1. I'll remain anonymous b/c I once told Tim that I would follow the blog to keep from buggin' the crap out of him at work, but that I would never post anything but after this latest entry, I have to. Tim and Annie, you 2 have become my new heroes. I know that's not exactly what you asked for in all this, but every single day when I think things are as bad as they can get, I think about you 2 and your strength amazes me. Just know that I admire you and I pray for all 3 of you every single day. You are both lucky beyond words to have each other, and I look forward to that entry when all this is behind you and we're all making plans for the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie and Tim, you give love and marriage the best name. You are truly amazing and there is hardly a day that I do not think of your courage and grace under the trials of chemo. Tim, if I ever worried about Annie at the start of this, I now know she is just fine. Thank you for loving her in all the ways that she writes about. I admire your strength of heart and spirit. Life does not have to be easy to be wonderful and the three of you are proof of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie and Tim! I just got an email from your mom on a family update and found out about what you guys are going thru! You both are incredilbe young people with positive and spiritual values that count for sooo much in life! You both -and Leyton- will be in our family thoughts and prayers. Be Strong! Susan Cannizaro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to drop you a note to let you know that we think of you often and pray for Tim's complete recovery! Love, Lindsay, Matt and Emma

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I would take a few minutes and comment myself, (since that is all I can do because this is Annie's blog) to let everyone know how much I appreciate the support as we travel down this path and to thank my wife for the gracious comments thusfar. The overall support has been much more than I anticipated eventhough I know what quality friends and family we have, it feels good to be thought of and help offered as often as it has been for the first quarter of this battle. This week is treatment number 4 and I am actually looking forward to each one as we work toward 12, eventhough they are unpleasant. The above mentioned support and the constant entertainment (wife and little man) make things much easier, that is until Leyton hits me in the head or stomach with his broom! Not to ramble, but thanks again to all and a side note to Annie; I'm glad you enjoy those little things I do, but don't give away all of my secrets! Love you-
    Tim

    ReplyDelete