Sunday, February 28, 2010

Wheelbarrows and Cross Ties












You know it is going to be a brutal day when you start out the day with two Aleve in anticipation of being sore later. I did, however, learn one of life’s great lessons today: if you want a project done, tell all your friends you have cancer and watch as they show up with wheelbarrows and shovels ready to work!

We built our garden today. It consisted of many wheelbarrow loads of dirt and some dang heavy crossties. I am so thankful for the help we received. Without it, I don’t think we would have been able to get it done. David Meyers and his little boy, Klayton came over to help along with Kevin and Jean Cartwright from up the street. I can’t speak for everyone else, but I am BEAT with a capital “B.” Tim is too, but he told me that today was the best day he has had since he started this mess. That made me enjoy the work that much more. He said the worst feeling through all of this is the days when you want to go outside and play with your little boy, but you just don’t feel good enough to do it. He said he can deal with the tired part – it’s just the missing out on things completely that is the toughest.

I can’t wait to plant our seedlings and literally enjoy the “fruits of our labor.” We are planting corn, zucchini, squash, cucumber, peppers, onion, purple hull peas, green beans, okra, cantaloupe, and watermelon. We will have to have the crew back to enjoy a home grown meal.

Tim and I got started early this morning. He had me bringing crossties around to the backyard. I could only haul two. I had no idea how heavy those suckers are! After that, it was on to the dirt. Wheelbarrowing is some hard work as well!!! It was fun though. I fixed us all some breakfast for lunch to get up enough energy to finish up. We had cheese grits, hashbrowns, eggs, brisket, and biscuits. Yum! I think the lunch helped our energy level. We were struggling before that.

I sure am glad it is done. Is it just me, or do the weeks keep getting longer and longer while the weekends get shorter and shorter. Come on Wednesday. It will be the 25% mark for Tim’s chemo.

Thank you all so much for your continued prayer and support. I will never be able to express how thankful I am to all of you!

Much Love,

Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment