Wednesday, February 3, 2010

1 Down 11 To Go!

WOW, what a day?!? We started off the day in Dr. Foran's office going over all the scans. Good News -- the cancer is Stage II. The only lymph nodes affected were the ones that were detected in the original scan. Below is a picture of the PET scan. The cancer is the black dots that you can see in the neck and chest area (the other black areas that show in the kidneys are normal and not cancerous.


If you click on the picture, it will blow it up for you.


After that, we headed to the infusion room for chemo. I asked Tim when he thinks this might start to not feel so strange. This whole ordeal still doesn't seem real. Even when were waiting for the test results we thought maybe they would come in and say this was all a big mistake.

Chemo took FOREVER today!!! The process started at about 11:30 and we left at 6:00. Tim's nurse's name was Erin. She was really sweet and upbeat. The treatment started off with fluids and two IVs of anti-nausea meds (see how hip I am to this whole process, I am already using the word "Meds" instead of medicine). Then the real stuff started. His chemo is ABVD, which means that he gets four drugs starting with each letter. The first was the "A" drug which is also called the "Red Devil." It got its name because 1. it is red and 2. if it infiltrates the vein and hits the tissue, it dies. Nasty stuff! After that, he had the "V" and then Erin gave him a test dose of the "B" to make sure he didn't have a reaction. Then it was time for the "D" and we were done.

Ordinarily, the whole treatment should take about two and half hours. We did get a goody bag for being a rookie. What I am most looking forward to, however, is "The Dance!" On your last treatment day, all the nurses get together and sing and dance the "Last Treatment Day Song" to you. Now that is something to celebrate.

Overall, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I think Tim would say the same thing, too. We laughed and joked a lot. Any time Tim had to go to the bathroom, he had to wheel his IV in with him. It was quite a site!!! One patient was from New Orleans and had brought a King Cake. Tim is not usually one who flocks to sweets, but he sure did love that cake. He wouldn't stop talking about it. Maybe it is a side effect of the chemo!

They have drinks and crackers for you in the treatment area and Tim was REALLY excited that they have the kind of ice he likes (it is like shaved ice). You know, it is the little things in life that make you smile : ).

One thing that was disappointing, though, is today was the only day that you are allowed to have a friend with you the whole time. From now on, anyone with him will have to wait in the waiting room and can only come in and visit for a minutes every now and then. I guess it is time to make some chemo friends, babe! Easier said than done when everyone else was 70+. I bet we were the only ones who brought "The Hangover" to watch on our portable DVD player!

Below are some pictures I took throughout the day of Tim getting treatment (check out that manly chest), his nurse Erin, and Tim oooohing and ahhhhing over the King Cake.

< span>r>





Overall, not a bad day. I think we are both glad that we have one behind us and now know more of what to expect. Let's hope it is all downhill from here!

Much Love,

Annie

5 comments:

  1. So are the less dark spots at the bottom of Tim's PET scan his nads?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our house, it is referred to as a "Scro-Tim"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try to get my mom to send an extra king cake to us just for Tim...I am expecting mine next week sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whats up cous. Andy has been keeping us up to date bro and I have been reading the blog. Shamefully I havent called since I got your new number. Ill give him a ring this weekend after work. I will see what I can do about getting him some Los Rancheros burritos shipped in.

    Redd

    ReplyDelete